Sunday, January 26, 2014

"YOLO - You Only Lopburi Once" - Melissa Bing

Melissa coined it right - You Only Lopburi Once. This past weekend we traveled up to Lopburi to see some more of Thailand's historical places, oh and monkeys. I started off my journey on Friday from Amata alone because Alex and Nichole were on a field trip. To get to Lopburi I had to take a bus, the BTS, a moped, and another bus. It wasn't that bad of a trip and 6 hours later I was there. On the bus from Mo Chit to Lopburi a nice man told me all about Lopburi, informed me that eating or drinking in front of the monkeys was not a good idea, and he made sure the bus stopped near my hotel instead of taking me to the bus stop. 

Melissa was already there when I got there with some RANDOM and ANNOYING older British man bugging her and getting way too personal. After finally getting rid of him we ventured out for a drink only to find the reviews correct - Lopburi is a very sleepy city. We passed by some pretty scary dogs and a homestore filled with cats before reaching Q Bar where there was a very selective menus and we were the only foreign people. Oh and our waiter was overly dressed for the cold evening in a lovely inspector gadget coat. 

Alex and Nichole missed the last bus and didn't arrive until late Saturday morning. Melissa and I went into the main part of Lopburi to explore before the girls came and we didn't think we would see it all in the hour or so we were there but we did. We saw the monkeys, we saw the ruins, and we saw the aggressive monkeys. Let's just say we were not thrilled. But when the girls joined us we went again... and this is when Alex was attacked. Please see video for details. It was scary and funny, and just to be on the safe side we took her to the hospital for her rabies shot. After all the drama we went back for dinner and drinks... tried to find a more lively bar and failed so we returned to our hotel. We caught a train back to Bangkok so we can now add that to our modes of transportation in Thailand.

You can see Thailand and skip Lopburi. It really wasn't worth the travel time and hotel stay. I am sure I will see a monkey somewhere else on my travels and that one monkey would have been fine with me. Lopburi - you were a little bit smelly and your monkeys were not friendly! My little brother sent me the clip from Idiot Abroad when Karl goes to Lopburi. It was the only thing Karl wanted to do and he hated it. Enough said. 














No comments:

Post a Comment